Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Another day in paradise - February 1

Another day in paradise. I say that only with partial sarcasm: while the country is truly devastated, the people are incredible in their resilience, gratitude, and good cheer. In many ways they are role models for how to get through the difficulties of life…we could all learn some lessons from these proud, spiritual people.

I slept on the roof last night, as there are better uses for my sleeping bag than my sleeping in it. Plus, it is 80 degrees warmer than home! We began the day with our meningitis patient from yesterday, who walked in the front door! An amazing response to our limited care; it illustrates what even crude and simple medical care can provide here. We had an elderly gentleman arrive today in congestive heart failure, but with a bit of diuretic treatment he was fine. Unfortunately, he had urinated in his pants but could not change clothes as it was all he had. Fortunately, my scrubs fit him so I gave them to him.

The day consisted of 269 patient visits, a clinic record. There were fractures to be set, wounds to debride, dressings to change, and occasionally something requiring anesthesia (I have been designated as the anesthesiologist of the group, despite what my anaesthesia colleagues at Meriter might think!). Many dehydrated children arrived today, and we were able to help them with oral fluids only (we have too few IV setups).

The children have been hit hard. There is a lot of post-traumatic stress disorder, and the children are waking up at night screaming and crying. We have nearly exhausted our supply of Benadryl, and it is only Monday.

Stress is evident with everyone. Someone was going down the steps outside the clinic and tripped, falling and causing a shaking of the building. Everyone immediately stopped what they were doing and ran for the exits, anticipating the next quake. Yes, patients and volunteers alike are on edge.

Our group of volunteers is doing a fantastic job. I am proud to be a part of this effort. In the next couple of days, when I get some time, I will head into the heart of Port-au-Prince to see the destruction for myself. Until then, I will continue seeing as many patients as I can, and doing whatever can be done. Thanks to all of you who have donated money and/or supplies; it is helping to save lives.


Visit facebook.com/meriter to see more photos and updates. Visit meriter.com to learn more about Meriter.

No comments:

Post a Comment