Monday, February 1, 2010

Arriving in Haiti - January 30, 2010

Saturday, January 30


Last night I landed in Santo Domingo at about midnight, with no one there to meet me! I guess this is to be expected given the hectic arrangements and the chaotic situation. I made a couple of calls and soon was able to get to the hotel where my group was staying. A few hours sleep, and this morning it was off for Haiti at 5:30 am.

Fifteen of us rode in one vehicle, and a truck with our supplies followed us. Six hours later we reached the border, and passed through without a hitch. Amazingly, all the supplies made it, including the narcotics in my bags and the toys for children in Haiti.

Two and one-half hours later, we reached Port au Prince and the Blanchard Clinic. The people of the neighborhood were excited to see us, as the clinic had been cleaned up but there had not been anyone to staff it. Now we were there. We spent the rest of the day unloading supplies and organizing for business the next day. Surprisingly, there was food available for us, despite our being told to bring all our own. We had bread and coffee promised for the mornings, and beans in the evening. After sunset, we sat on the roof and watched the stars…moving! It was a steady convoy of supply planes bringing much needed food, water, and medical supplies to Haiti! This was even more uplifting.

As much as I wanted and needed to make this trip, I was filled with apprehension. No more. This is where I need to be. I can help.


Visit facebook.com/meriter to see more photos and updates. Visit meriter.com to learn more about Meriter.

No comments:

Post a Comment